The modern-day Hemlock Farms began in 1927 when William Brewster acquired the entire Atkinson holdings. William Brewster was a young man, not quite 30, the son of George Brewster. Together they were highly-successful contractors in Bergen County, New Jersey. Between 1927 and 1963, the greater part of Hemlock Farms was owned by William Brewster and much that is familiar to its present residents took shape in those years.
In 1932 he built the dam that created Hemlock Lake out of a small pond. He built the original clubhouse and the other stone building around and near it. In 1944 he bought a large part of the McConnell holdings and shortly thereafter he built the dam that made McConnell Lake out of the original McConnell Pond. In 1963 William Brewster sold the entire property (4,500 acres) to Western Heritage Properties, Ltd. For $700,000—about $155 per acre.
The then presiding Board of Governors of Lords Valley Country Club leased the then existing nine-hole golf course, including several buildings on the Brewster Estate, from Western Heritage Properties, the developer of Hemlock Farms.
Lords Valley Country Club was operated and subsidized by Western Heritage Properties, Ltd. and its successor, Home Smith International, until May 1, 1971. At that time, the Lords Valley Country Club Board of Governors began the negotiations for the purchase of the now member-owned Club. By September 17, 1973, 359 individuals had purchased a bond of $2,500 and committed themselves, if need be, to the payment of annual dues and assessments.
Lords Valley Country Club has seen many changes over the years including expansion to a USGA-rated 18-hole golf course, which now covers 145 scenic acres. The Club increased the number of tennis courts from two to ten and changed the surfaces to Har-Tru; the bowling alley and the game house were converted into a Pro Shop and an informal dining facility; the dining room was expanded and other improvements were made throughout the Club.
For more information, contact Lords Valley Country Club at 570-775-7325 or email firstname.lastname@example.org
To learn more about the history of the LVCC, download this 50th anniversary PDF